Sunday, July 24, 2011

WHY THE YANKEES WINNING STREAK STARTS NOW

25 saves in 15 consecutive seasons. That Mariano Rivera, the King of the Closers and I tell you what, it was tough to get there today, but we did it and he saved it and I'm grateful. All is well in Yankeeland. Why you ask? Big Bart is back, and I smell a winning streak starting here in the Bronx. I hope to God I'm right.(Photo: Getty)
There are 2 things I like, winning the series and being involved in a long winning streak. Watching Colon today, I felt like we can do it and keep it going throughout the homestand.
Bartolo Colon looks like he did when he took over the starting role from Hughes, pure dominance. Yes, he struggled early but he settled down. He help the A's to 2 runs, I'd say that's pretty damn good. He pitched 7 innings of work, allowed 8 hits but only 2 runs and he struck out 4. (Photo: Thomas Haveron)
To me, I was slightly nervous because All-Star Gio Gonzalez was on the mound for the Athletics and he can shut you down any day of the week. Luckily for us, he was off today and we hit and scored. For Gio, he only last 4.2 innings and gave up 6 runs on 7 hits. Thankfully, the Yankee offense was doing their thing.

The Gentleman, Curtis Granderson cranked out yet another home run in front of the Bronx crowd today and he just continues a great season, almost MVP-esque if you ask me. The guy just continues to deliver, even when other players fall short. Kudos to Kid Curtis.
(Photo: Getty)
Russell Martin scored twice today and stole a base. He was also just awesome behind the plate and gave us all the reason why he belongs there and the youngster Jesus Montero may not be the right guy. And to be honest, you hear whispers of Montero on the trading block all day long anyway, almost like his time has passed him by. I'd be curious what happens this week with the trade deadline coming up, we shall see.

Eduardo Nunez also continued to contribute with a 2 run double today. The kid's bat is really great, I'm glad to see him constantly hitting when we need it.

David Robertson
was not unstoppable today but in the big picture, you have to just forget this one. Sometimes pitchers aren't invincible and guess what? Robertson has been so dominant and it's almost like he doesn't know any better allowing 2 runs to score, so he got angry. I like that, it shows he gives a shit. It shows he's human. Don't worry, DRob will be back next game and he'll be back to his own self, the ass kicker.

Final Score: Yankees 7 - Athletics 5. We took the series and that's what you want right now, keep winning each series and you'll be in the playoffs. Do it Yanks... just keep doing it.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment