Wednesday, October 12, 2011

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THE FAMILY BALLPARK?

I think I've found the best family friendly ballpark out there, but let me back up and start at the beginning. Look, I’m no tight ass. I like the idea of attractive women at the ballpark, but I’ve noticed over the last 10 years that things have changed fan-wise…and maybe it’s because now my kids are with me to see what I see. Yes, the chanting of “A-hole” when an opposing fan walks down the aisle is the norm, and I can at least tell my kids not the repeat it, but what’s up with the attractive young woman with the low cut shirt showing off her “boys”? What’s going on with women fans holding signs that read “Jeter I want your baby. My kids can read, and they have questions…. Are you going to answer them? If I knew I was going to teach Sex Ed at the ballpark, I would have brought my former gym teacher along. It’s a little over the top, that’s all.

Look, I’m not judging, I know I have a job to do as a parent. I can choose not the go or explain what true fans are and let them be exposed to all of it to get the “real feel”, pardon the pun. But it’s true, I am a traditionalist and while I love wearing a Posada jersey to the ballpark, I’m not sure seeing male fans rip their shirts off and chanting “RED SOX SUCK” as it’s written on their back really works for me. Yes, The Red Sox DO suck, but the last thing I want to see is my kid doing that at a town football game weeks later. I long for the day when people actually dressed up to go to a ballgame once in a while. Those Sunday matinees with men wearing hats and women wearing sundresses. Yeah, that’s right; I’m actually 102 years old. Look, I’m sounding extreme, and it’s all to make a point.

Whatever happened to the “family” ballpark? What ever happened to bringing the kids to a game at a reasonable price, parking for $6 bucks and having a few hot dogs and a brew totaling $45? At least then you can get a souvenir. But No...

Instead, lately it’s the price of a mini-vacation and my son's asking me “Why is that girl dancing with her bra showing in that man’s lap?” That’s tough to defend; I’m not going to lie. Plus I’d really like to see that, but not with the kids around, maybe on pay per view.

I have to say, Yankee Stadium is not a bad place to bring your kids at all. It’s pretty family friendly and if a fan is unruly, security usually takes care of business right away and kicks them out. But it’s expensive. So, I went for it; I took my kids to a truly family friendly ballpark… Riverfront Stadium in Newark New Jersey...the Home of the Newark Bears. Not sure if you know the history, but the Newark Bears was a farm club of the Yankees in 1937 with names like Joe Gordon and later, Yogi Berra. Later on it was rejuvenated by former Yankee Rick Cerone and they brought in former major league players like Jose Canseco, Rickey Henderson and they’ve had managers like former Pirate Bill Madlock and currently, former Yankee and Expo, Tim Raines. I'm actually very interested in interviewing Mr. Raines because he's had such an incredible baseball career and I hope to have that for my Bleeding Yankee Blue readers.

But back to my point; a Newark Bears game is inexpensive and you see some pretty competitive ball being played. My kid loves baseball as you know and since we’ve been there, we’re looking forward to going back. The park is about as family friendly as it gets and there is plenty to do. If the kids get bored, you can walk around, they have a kids section, the mascots are out meeting the fans and they have something going on almost every half inning games... activities and other fun stuff.

Look, I love being at a pro ballpark, but half naked people and visible tramp stamps are too much to explain to my kids. All I’m asking for is a little courtesy. That’s it. I’m a true fan, I get it, but as I get older I can’t defend you all the time. Hey, that’s sports I guess. It’s just my opinion. But here’s another opinion, for a cheaper cleaner afternoon, check out the Newark Bears next spring, it’s a lot of fun. You can sit back, relax with the kids and you don’t have to worry about boobs, “F” bombs and going broke on a Sunday afternoon.Check out the Newark Bears... That’s the right way to go. Click HERE to find out about ticket information. I'll re-post this closer to the Bears opening day in 2012.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment