Thursday, October 13, 2011

WHY THE RED SOX JUST GOT WHACKED

Look, I’m not going to sit here and kick a team while they’re down…well, maybe I will, after all it’s the Red Sox and I am no fan. But I’ve noticed an increase in media sniping of the Sox the past 24 hours and I like it. Yes, a report late last month suggested that the Sox were eating chicken and drinking beer during the final games of the season…DURING THE GAMES. USA Today, among others keeps the story going with the "startling details". Read it HERE.

Then there were reports that Terry Francona couldn’t control his team (read HERE), then suggestions that he was fired, then that he left on his own. And what does Theo Epstein do? Well, one thing he didn’t do was stick around. It appears he's taking the next bus to Chi-town and suddenly, Beantown is crumbling.

Let me tell you... I would never normally write a piece about the Boston Red Sox EVER unless it was needed, and with all the buzz about Theo Epstein jumping a sinking ship, I just wanted to offer a few logical pieces of opinion. It’s probably the nicest back handed compliment you’ll ever read so mark down this moment.

Theo Epstein is a smart man and while he brought the tools he needed to try and bring the Sox their 3 championship in 11 years, he failed, that being said, it was clear his time was up. Let’s not forget, the Yankees won only 1 World Series in 11 years; the Red Sox won 2 with Theo as their GM. Let’s also not forget that he’s a lethal weapon in baseball. In fact, he and Brian Cashman are both in my opinion geniuses and let’s not beat around the bush, having the money to spend, well, that helps a lot too. Theo will do wonders for the Cubs and I can see him helping them win it all, I have no doubt. But it shocked me the way he just left the team behind, all the while showing face like he actually gave a crap about his Sox team. Then, suddenly, he disappeared.

All that said, I’m glad Theo’s gone. He’s good at his job and it hurts the Red Sox badly and helps the Yankees immensely.

Secondly, let me say what isn’t said enough…Terry Francona is the classiest baseball guy around and while I hate the Red Sox winning anything.... even a carnival game, Francona deserved his 2 championships (that kills me to say.) Francona is well respected and I found it terrible that things ended the way it did for him. That too though, at the end of the day, hurts the Red Sox and for that, I thank the baseball Gods. Right now, the Red Sox have nothing but a bunch of overplayed players and controversy surrounding beer drinking while games are being played. Losing clearly is for losers.

All this turmoil will help the Yankees in 2012 and beyond. The Yankees may have lost the playoffs in 2011, but the Sox didn’t even get there and let’s face it, no one likes a loser. If the Sox want to complete, they need a leader, someone who Theo and Terry were before they lost control of their team. Luckily for us, all the reports are positive about the Yankees and Cashman's love for each other and if we can keep Cash, the Yankees are in the drivers seat.

It may be October with no Yankee baseball, but be positive and look beyond. As long as the Yankees keep winning next season and as long as the Red Sox keep crumbling, things will look pretty damn bright, and you can’t argue with that. I like my chances right now. Are you listening Las Vegas? Next time don't make odds in March... remember, a Red Sox / Phillies World Series? Who are you kidding?

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment