Thursday, January 1, 2009

Well Cigarettes, We Had Some Pretty Good Times

The Joys of Quitting Smoking (Help me, I'm in Hell)

I have smoked about a pack of day since I was 17 years old, starting with Marlboro Mediums and then getting bit by the methol bug at about 20. Smoking has successfully gotten me through 4 years of college and 6.5 years of the Navy without be a total spaz, but I'm afraid the habit has got to go. Due to nanny-state wankers regulating every bit of our society, you can't smoke anywhere these days. Many people are repulsed by the habit, and I have been addicted for so long that I can't even sit through a two hour movie without taking a smoke break during a lull. Oh yeah, and it's bad for you or something.

Nicotine withdrawal is not as bad as kicking heroin, which involves vomiting and defecating all over yourself in what is affectionately described as "The Heroin Flu". But, it certainly isn't very pleasant. You start not being able to see clearly, you get snippy with everyone like some pushy Bostonian, and pretty much all you can think about is not being able to smoke. I don't have anything against the tobacco companies for providing a satisfying, stress-reducing product, but they sure do know how to make 'em addictive. Damn.

Anyways , here's a Simpsons clip that kind of applies anytime you decide to quit a vice:

I know I rarely write about my personal life, mostly because it's dull stuff. But I figured if I wrote this I would be compelled to quit. Sorry for its self-serving nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment