Monday, February 14, 2011

WHY JOBA WILL RULE IN 2011

So today, Brian Cashman was quoted as saying that there is no guarantee that Joba Chamberlain makes the 2011 roster coming out of spring training.
Now I’m sure no player wants to hear the GM of your team reveal these feelings to the press, unless Cash is trying to light a fire under Joba, Hmmm, that's a thought. Is it possible that Cash was trying to send Joba a message? Here’s what I think Cashman is really saying:
These are two quotes taken from today’s New York Post:

“Anyone who has [minor league] options is not a lock for anything.”
--Brian Cashman

What I think Cash is really saying…”Joba should not be concerned with the pressure of not knowing if he is the 5th starter or being groomed for Mo’s role -- just pitch your ass off this Spring!”

Now for the second quote:
“I fully expect Joba to be in our bullpen. If not, he would have worked his way out of it.” --Brian Cashman

What I think Cash is really saying…”I agree with all you guys that the Joba rules were D-U-M-B but I couldn’t say anything. Trust me, these were not my rules. That being said, Joba has a very important role in our bullpen this year. Joba, do not worry about the “rules”, just go give ‘em hell!”

Here are three reasons why I am optimistic for Joba in 2011.
  1. No more "Joba Rules". The Yankees, and more importantly, Joba now knows his role. No more questions like, "is he being groomed to be Mo's replacement!? " Just think about how important it is to know your role on this Yankee team. He can now come into this spring training with a clean slate and just throw the ball. Just get the outs and not have to be concerned about those idiotic "Joba rules". When we "met" this young pitcher a few years ago he was just mowing down everyone and the confidence was at 100%. When Joba made his debut with the Yankees a couple things were certain, He wasn't starting and, Mo was the closer. Joba was just able to be Joba.
  2. Rafael Soriano. On the surface, this great signing by the Yankees would automatically look like the Yankees are taking the ball out of Joba’s hands. I don’t see it that way. What I see is Joba being able to truly relax mentally. I think Rafael takes a loud of pressure off the shoulders of Joba and will allow Chamberlain to just go for it!
  3. The right stuff. So many people have given up on Joba and act like he is some 39-40 year old washed up veteran. The guy is just 25 years old and was throwing upwards of 98 mph just 3 years ago! And remember those sick breaking balls? We saw flashes of it last season. I mean, come on, you don’t just lose that kind of God given talent. It has all been a mental game for Chamberlain. You can blame the Yankees for the cause of some of this with the way they have screwed with him these past couple years, but Joba put a lot of this pressure on himself with his off the field issues. If the Yankees and Joba’s dad can just get Joba to focus on his talent and the present, not the future, then I think its lights out for any Major League hitter who faces him this year.


--Mikey Blue BYB Senior Writer



Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment