Sunday, September 25, 2011

WHY GOD IS SMILING ON YANKEELAND

I feel like I'm getting Punk'd. I feel like I'm being watched, and I keep containing myself, not to get too giddy, like someone's about to jump out from behind a door in my house and point their finger at me and laugh hysterically. Then Ashton Kutcher will come out and tell me it's all a joke, that the Red Sox really aren't this bad. But the reality is... they are. Couple that with the Yankees just looking so good right now and it's the perfect recipe for Yankeeland.
David Ortiz said it best a few weeks ago and believe me, all of Red Sox Nation heard him and groaned. "Hell yeah, you've got to panic." To me, that's giving up. You never show your hand and never show doubt in your club publicly. That statement did both. Remember when I wrote WHY RUSSELL MARTIN HAS BALLS? That statement by Ortiz demonstrates no balls.
Today was a beautiful day in the Bronx. Seeing the number 61 on the field to honor Roger Maris, with no asterisk by the way, was awesome. I've always read about and appreciated Roger Maris for all he did in pinstripes and I'm so glad he's honored in the Bronx.

Let's start with AJ Burnett today. The guy looked good. They guy looked like he can handle another game and he looked like he's the "good" AJ right now. Although, I noticed a "look" while he was coming off the field today. It wasn't a look of a dominant pitcher. It was a look of a pitcher who was still uncertain with himself. A pitcher who clearly still has confidence issues. Look at it, tell me what you think:This was after the 4th inning.

2 stories today, the Yankees offense continues to be great and AJ Burnett. Burnett will give Girardi a headache I'm sure, now Joe must decide who follows Ivan Nova in the rotation; AJ Burnett, Freddy Garcia or Bartolo Colon.

Today Burnett went 7.2 innings, he allowed 5 hits and only 2 runs. He had 6 strikeouts and allowed 2 homers today. Ultimately, he did good. Enough to think maybe he'd be in the running for the 3rd man in the rotation in the ALDS. Personally though, if it came down to me deciding, I'm choosing Freddy Garcia because of his veteran grittiness and that Burnett picture doesn't excite me. That's my bottom line.Jorge Posada had his 14th homer today and 2 RBIs. I love Posada at DH from the left side and it's clear, Jesus Montero will be in against lefties, so that DH platoon seems to be working out nicely, wouldn't you say?

Derek Jeter
was 3 for 4 today and is batting .300 Ladies and Gentlemen. I'm just saying. Oh Captain, my Captain...lead us.

One play stood out and spoke volumes today. There was nothing better than watching Carl Crawford miss a ball he should have caught off of Jeter's bat today. But this is what was really telling; As the ball bounced, he swatted at it and missed, and as the ball continued to the wall, he actually looked at his glove like someone put a hole in it. I'm not kidding. I had to take a picture of this play because it was laughable. This is a guy that has a monster contract and he can't do a thing right right now. So why is this play significant to me? Because Jeter came around to score on an Alex Rodriguez hit. Runs win ballgames.

David Robertson came in and closed out the game nicely. Houdini does it again. The future New York Yankees closer? I don't mean to sound like I'm pushing Mariano out, I'm not. I'm just saying, the future's exciting.

Final Score: Yankees 6 - Red Sox 2

Game 2 tonight, keep rolling Yankees!

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment