Saturday, September 24, 2011

WHY IS PAPELBON CALLING MARIANO NAMES?

(Photo: Getty)
I don’t care for Jonathan Papelbon. I feel like the kid is way too arrogant for only being around for 7 years...but he is. I feel like he needs to be more of an athlete and be less cocky. True, it did cross my mind, I did think to myself, “Why can’t he carry himself more like Derek Jeter?” Well, maybe I was wrong about Papelbon... I doubt it, but maybe.

Ian Browne of MLB.com has a piece HERE about how Jonathan Papelbon is in awe of Mariano Rivera. Well, in fairness, who isn’t? But more importantly, I don’t even know if I believe Papelbon being complimentary of anyone but himself. Does he actually have a heart? If he does, it's probably 3 sizes too small...right? So I started reading and to be honest, I came away from the article caring for Papelbon less than I did before.

Browne writes: “Not only would Papelbon love to pass Rivera, he’s even told him as much. ‘I’ve told Mo, he’s the man of chase,” Papelbon said. “I’m going to go after him. There’s no question.”

‘I look at it like this: The guy is a freak,’ said Papelbon. ‘I know he’s a handsome looking guy and has those beautiful pearly whites, but he’s a freak.’"

Then something changed halfway through. Papelbon became human and his heart seemed to grow three sizes than before. He actually complimented our Yankees hero, there was no more aggression, no more “freak” name calling. Browne writes as Papelbon said:

“’I owe a lot of gratitude to him because of what he’s done. I wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for him,’ Papelbon said. ‘I think everybody knows that.’”

Wow, well Jonathan, I know it now. I never thought it to be in your nature to actually give a compliment to anyone, to be nice, but it was the right thing to do and I'm proud of you. Good job.

I still don’t care for the way you carry yourself though, that’s my opinion…freak.

P.S. I loved How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment