Wednesday, September 28, 2011

WHY VETERANS & YOUTH A GOOD MIX FOR BRONX BACKSTOP

(Photo: Getty)
It won’t be an easy decision for Joe Girardi, but with Francisco Cervelli season to be over, read HERE, the Yankees won’t have a backup catcher. True, Joe Girardi stated that Russell Martin would not need a backup… but let’s face it, what if Martin makes another joke (story HERE) and gets tossed in Game 1 of the ALDS? The Yankees will clearly need one then, won’t they? Luckily, having Jesus Montero or Austin Romine to choose from is not exactly a bad problem. Couple that with veteran Jorge Posada who’s on the bench, chomping at the bit and we have the catching role pretty solid. Veterans and Youth, it’s a good mix.

No one really knows what will happen with Romine and Montero yet, but I suspect at least Montero is going to the ALDS. Austin Romine is a very good defensive catcher, but Jesus can catch as well and in my opinion, you just can’t bring both. I feel like you still need 11 pitchers and you also don’t want to short change the bench. Read WHY I KNOW THE YANKEES 2011 ALDS ROSTER. I broke it down the way I see it. Again, it’s my opinion, there are plenty of scenario’s out there.

While Jorge Posada is the Yankees DH, Jesus Montero is a more logical Designated Hitter merely because you pounce on hot hitters and Jesus is hot right now. That being said, look for Girardi to go with Posada against righties and Montero against lefties. Montero has been hitting and hitting nicely and has a young, hungry energy. Posada has postseason experience and Lord knows that adrenaline will start pumping for him like it has for years in the postseason. Just the surroundings alone will get Posada going. Whatever Girardi chooses must be decided on their defense as well as their hitting. Yes, the ALDS is a short series, but there is nothing wrong with having players that can do more than ride the bench. Montero can be your DH and catch. Posada can DH, pinch hit, play first base and catch. Options are key, the Yankees have them…again... veterans and youth, and that’s a good mix if needed to back up Russell Martin.

Check out the numbers of our catchers and DH’s this season:

Russell Martin: 98-413, 17 HR, 17 2B, 64 RBI

Jesus Montero: 20-57, .351 AVG, 4 HR, 12 RBI

Jorge Posada (batting lefty off the bench): .270 AVG, 14 home runs, 39 RBIs

Austin Romine: 3-18, .167 AVG, 1 BB, 4 K

If Girardi can figure out a way to bring Romine, Posada and Montero, I think you will see a decent batch of talent, but I’m not so sure I see it happening. But, what the hell do I know? I’m just a blogger in my basement wearing my worn out REGGIE T-shirt.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment