Friday, January 14, 2011

WHY JOBA'S DAYS ARE NUMBERED

While the signing of Rafael Soriano just bolstered the Yankee bullpen for the better, the writing's on the wall for our friend Joba Chamberlain. Last night when news broke, I was thrilled. Yes, Soriano was someone I wanted on the Yankees this off season, and have always liked the guy. He’s a gamer. I like that he worked his way back from Tommy John surgery into a dominant closer and I like that he had no problem setting up Mo. But I know what’s coming next… Joba’s days are numbered. You can almost see it happen, before it happens.

Ever since Joba Chamberlain was infested by bugs in Cleveland, things fell apart. His luck ran out. He was tainted. He was damaged goods. His ego hit the wall. Tack on the Yankees jerking him around from reliever to starter and back to reliever and you could literally damage a man’s confidence dramatically. Guess what, Joba is damaged. The Yankees know it. So why am I boring you with this? Hear me out.

“Joba won’t be a starter.” That quote came from Cashman’s mouth just a few short weeks ago. You can believe it if you want, but I don’t. Right now, Robertson, Soriano, Robertson, Boone Logan and Pedro Feliciano is a pretty nice bullpen. It’s dominant without Joba. So, don’t be surprised if the New York Yankees suddenly decide in the next few months that Joba should become a starter. They’ll couch it as a “try out” for a rotation spot. But Joba will get a rotation spot. Watch.

This is a try out, not for the Yankees but for a team to show interest. Joba is about to be trade bait and he won’t even realize he’s auditioning. Look, if the teams like what they see, it’s "let’s make a deal" time. If no one’s biting, the Yanks will do what they always do with Joba, whatever they want. Maybe they throw him back in the bullpen, maybe they trade him for a bag of balls.

But, if you want me to speculate, like I'm doing, I say Joba's toast. Would the Yankees be better off without Joba? Yes, but I like Joba, I feel horrible for how he was tossed around like a head of lettuce. But part of being a strong young pitcher is dealing with new roles until they find what's right for the team.

Would Joba be better off without the Yankees? I think so. I think a clean slate can bring new light to a young man. Bottom line, Joba needs a change. It's unfair, but it may be better for everyone when it's all said and done.

Coincidentally, I just finished writing my post and I am reading Heyman's report HERE about the Yankees willing to trade Joba for a starter. That seems much easier than my speculation, yet, we're on the same page... It's funny how things work, isn't it.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter
@BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.


No comments:

Post a Comment