Wednesday, August 10, 2011

WHY GRANDERSON MEANS LEADERSHIP



(Photo: Getty)

I remember the day Curtis Granderson signed with the Yankees and I remember being happy, but not being overly happy like some of my pals. Granderson is going to be a superstar in the Bronx,” my buddy Nate told me. I didn’t see it. Consistent and a good outfielder, but not a superstar. Damn... I was wrong and when it comes to my Yankees, I love when I'm proved wrong.

Curtis Granderson, or "the Gentleman" as I fondly refer to him has done things this season many ballplayers only wish they could accomplish in a career. Not only that, this guy carries himself like a New York Yankee. There’s no arrogance about him, and definitely no ego. He’s like Derek Jeter; he’s happy to be there, blessed to be playing good baseball and a great role model for many kids. It’s that positive attitude and the ability to be clutch that is the perfect formula for any role model in baseball and for the New York Yankees. Granderson has that.

I wrote WHY G.G.S. IS A.O.K. back in February and I wrote it because I knew the Yankees outfield would be a big part of the team and the season. With the exception of Nick Swisher having a slow start, it's exactly how I predicted it. Both Brett Gardner and Granderson have delivered wonderfully. Gardy is just grinding it out game after game, and Curtis Granderson, our leader, is leading the charge every game. To him, it’s just another day at the office, but to me and many like me, this is exactly why we signed him in the winter of 2009.

So how did it happen? Patience. Curtis struggled in 2010 but worked with Kevin Long and if you remember, but last year's playoffs, both Curtis and Robinson Cano had found their stride and were rattling off hits and homers like it was a clinic. Read about it HERE. Luckily for us, that confidence and talent carried over through the winter and into 2011 where Grandy's just continuing his hot hitting. Couple that with the Yankee home run race that I've been jokingly playing out in my mind with Mark Teixeira and he swatting for the fences and there is a lot to be happy about in Yankeeland. If you didn't realize it, Granderson now has 31 homers after tonight's game. That's a personal high for him. Congrats. Granderson can basically do anything right now and it’s why the Yankees had been eyeing him for the few years he was on the Tigers.

I couldn’t be happier with Curtis Granderson and I'm thrilled he's on the Yankees. He’s a guy’s guy, a team player and the perfect example of the perfect athlete; speed, power, depth and confidence…. And the best damn role model for any kid out there. Keep it up Curtis, you're a star in my book.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment