Monday, August 8, 2011

WHY POSADA NEEDS TO GO WITH IT

It’s the story of defeat. Watching Jorge Posada sitting on the Yankee bench is symbolism for the end. The end of the Core Four, the end of an Era, the end of Jorge Posada as a New York Yankee. I don’t like it, but I accept it.

Every single person needs to come to the realization that everything comes to an end. In Jorge’s world, it’s baseball. We all know he will always be a New York Yankee for life, for him to do anything drastic like go and try signing with another team in the off-season would be mental. We only know him only as a New York Yankee… so does he.The Yankees are doing everything they can to go easy on Jorge, to phase him out so it doesn’t crush his ego, but it’s crushing none the less. It’s not their fault, hell, it’s no ones fault. People get older, people get slower and new kids show up. It’s a life thing. Jorge and I are the same age. I see it in my own life. I get defensive, obnoxious to make my point, to prove I can still handle the job. Bottom line though, for the right price and dare I say, for a younger alternative, someone else may be able to do it better. Jorge sees it coming, he’s bit his lip and he’s doing what the Yankees ask, but it’s one thing to take him out of the catcher role and make him a DH. It’s another to relieve him of that role too.

(Photo: US Presswire)

Eric Chavez will be the new Designated Hitter until, I believe Jesus Montero gets his shot. It’s not ideal for someone like Jorge Posada, but it’s what’s best for the team and I know Posada’s struggling with that. None of us ever saw this coming 6 years ago. At that point, Jorge, Mariano, Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte, who was with the Astros, were all playing good baseball. All of them thriving and all of them performing to the best of their abilities. Now though, it’s clear, Posada’s getting squeezed out, gently I might add and new blood is moving in.

Again, in this baseball world of constantly finding new, young and better talent, the Yankees are doing something truly courteous and considerate; They are holding onto a fallen hero out of respect. To Jorge, it's a slap in the face, but let's face facts, if Jorge is on any other team in Major League baseball, Jorge Posada would have been released by now. The Yankees are doing the right thing, yes, it may not be the best thing for the team right now, holding onto an aging star that is eating a chunk of salary to be a bench player, but dare I say, they’re doing the right thing. I respect what they’re doing, although, I know and Jorge knows, it shouldn’t be the case.

So, I say this to Poe. Accept it, you're riding the bench because of all you've done. Contribute when you can, but let the end happen. It’s OK pal. Every single one of us love you and all you’ve done over the years, but it’s over and it’s OK... just go with it.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment