Friday, August 19, 2011

WHY I’M MIFFED GIRARDI WAS MIFFED…AND DID NOTHING

3 days later, I’m still aggravated by the way the Billy Butler double was called a home run and how the Umpires botched the play. But I’m not as angry at the umps as I am with the way our manager rolled over. Yes, It’s stupid to be even talking this now… days later. After all, last night the Yankees had a call in their favor and we should all just move on now right? Wrong, Bleeding Yankee Blue is about ranting and I need to get something off my chest…passion for the game and fighting for your team are big with me and guess what, no one is more passionate and fights more than Girardi, so where the hell were you Joe?

Since when is Joe Girardi NOT a baseball guy? That night he wasn’t for sure. What I mean is, this is a guy that follows the rules and follows his Girardi binder more closely than Anderson Cooper trying to get through a script. (If you don’t know what I’m talking about, watch this):



My point is, Joe Girardi goes by the book, knows the rules cold and he has never apologized for any bad decision he’s made with any managerial more be it bullpen or defense in the past, because the guy has the biggest balls in baseball. He knows what he’s talking about and knows he knows. So why did he not fight harder for my Yankees that night? It’s not like the Royals were awarded the home run and everyone stopped talking about it. Everyone was still talking about… all game! Yanks were probably down in the tunnel, watching it on TV over and over again and reporting back to Joe. So, for me, if I’m the manager, I’m ready to protest that call. Keep it fresh in the mind, get it done. What would be the worst thing that could happen? They reject it and we move on? Fine, but in that moment they don’t reject the protest, we could at least rectify the call. That run cost us the game, that means it’s a loss ladies and gentlemen. Would he have fault harder if it were the Red Sox? Let me tell you something, it doesn’t matter, he needed to protest. So where are we now? We lost a game we probably should have won and 3 days later, he’s still talking about it to the media. To me, you either fight it while it’s fresh, or you never address it again.

Where was his head on that one? It’s puzzling to me. Yes, we’re already in our second game in Minnesota and it feels like a lifetime away, but I didn’t just decide to bring this up, it’s all over the Internet. Joe’s talking about it still, and it clearly bothers him. “Two umpires told me and I believed them… maybe I don’t need to be so trustworthy anymore.” Fact.

Look, I’ve had my share of criticism for Joe Girardi in the past, this is true. I yell at the TV a lot, but I respect Girardi and I know he’s one of the smartest baseball guys out there, maybe that’s why I was so disappointed with his handling of this. Maybe I expected fireworks and him getting ejected. Maybe I wanted him to be as passionate about that call than he is about his binder. Who knows. I guess now we can all just shut up about it and move on. Is there a lesson here though? Yes Joe, there is. Trust no one and fight for your team…and I don’t mean fight, I mean FIGHT like you need it to live. Fight like we need to win every single game left this season. If Joe did that, my anger over Billy Butler’s double would at least proved to me we tried, because last time I checked, it’s about doing your job as a team, and your job is to manage and protect your team… isn’t it Joe?

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment