Sunday, August 14, 2011

WHY PITCHING BURNETT IS LIKE VEGAS...A GAMBLE



Brian Cashman just laughs off the implication that AJ Burnett should be sent to the pen, or better yet, released by the Yankees because of his lousy performances. Look, I like AJ Burnett, but to me, this guy clearly has a mental thing going on and it's allowed him to implode right around the 5th or 6th inning, or, in other words, the second time around the opposing teams batting order. Sad but true, but what can the Yankee really do about it? Look, my feeling has always been that while AJ Burnett was the Yankee #2 starter, he needs to move down in the pecking order of the rotation right now. AJ being sent to the bullpen is not and will never be, in the cards. Even Cashman said that the suggestion that AJ Burnett should be out of rotation is truly a "bunch of crap." Read all about it HERE.In the Daily News article, Cashman is quoted as saying "A.J. Burnett is not pitching close to as bad as people reflect. And they got him pulled out of the rotation - I just think it's a stupid reaction."I disagree with that. AJ is pitching good true, but he pitches good until he doesn't. That is more like it. I can only suggest this to Cashman if he insists on keeping Burnett in the rotation; Move Burnett down in the rotation or make him a 5 inning starter, NO MATTER WHAT. I wrote about it in, WHY THERE ARE SOLUTIONS TO THE BURNETT MESS. I wrote:



"AJ PITCHES 5 INNINGS ONLY, BE PREPARED: Now, you’re
right, that’s not ideal idea either and you’re yelling at me right now: “Burnett get’s paid a lot of money Casey, it’s his job to pitch 7 strong every time.” You’re right, but this is the reality… he can’t. So, the only other solution is you take him out of the rotation, which I don't think the Yankees will do, OR they prepare for his outing and have guys like a Cory Wade or Phil Hughes on stand by in the pen to replace him. And I don’t mean replace him when he gets into trouble, I mean replace him in the 6th inning without questions asked. Get to the bridge, get to the win, that’s the goal."



Yes, it may seem ridiculous, but you can't keep putting a guy out there that you believe in that doesn't believe in himself. Plus, it's clear, you're not moving him out of the rotation, so it's Russian roulette... it's Black Jack. It's playing the Claw knowing for sure your not going to snatch up the stuffed animals in the glass box, but you do it anyway. It's literally a rotation spot based on luck or a gamble and we need Rainman to bail us out. I'm sorry, I don't like playing baseball on luck, I like playing baseball on ability and talent and if AJ can't get us there, someone else needs to, be it Ivan Nova, or Phil Hughes.



The Daily News spells it out wonderfully: "In the seven starts since his last win he is 0-3 with a 6.00 ERA and none of them have been so-called "quality starts." Since being acquired by the Bombers before signing a five-year deal before the 2009 season, he has not won a game he started in the month of August."



I love my New York Yankees, I just want to see a streak again, and the uncertainty of the rotation is making me nervous. No, I'm not panicking, but I'm not comfortable with what I've been seeing lately. One word... stability. We need it right now.



Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment