Tuesday, August 16, 2011

WHY THE YANKEES NEW KIDS ARE MOVING ON UP

Reports out of Yankeeland say the kids are movin' on up and some may join the big club by September, according to Jon Heyman of SI.Jesus Montero: That's right. Jon Heyman reports Jesus is coming and the date looks to be September 1st. I was convinced after the trade deadline that Jesus Montero would be up much sooner than that so he could adapt to the Bigs before the playoffs. I wrote about it in, WHY JESUS IS COMING TO YANKEELAND NOW. But hey, things happen for a reason and it's clear they're waiting to bring Jesus up until they seem comfortable. The good news is though... Jesus will be up this year. Currently, Montero is batting .283 with 13 home runs and 55 homeruns in 96 games. Start marking your calendar.

Dellin Betances: Dellin is moving up to Scranton Wilkes Barre, according the Dellin himself. I love Twitter, that's where he announced it. Read about it HERE. Betances has been doing pretty decent in AA, going 4-6 with a 3.42 ERA... 1.34 WHIP. the big thing is he's been striking out alot of batters, 112 of them in over 105 innings but walks quite more than many would like... 55. The best part is that's why he's down there, to work out the kinks and now he'll get to pitch against bigger batters in AAA, and work on walking less. Betances is exciting because he's 23 years old and there is alot of buzz about the kid. I've personally been more excited about Manny Banuelos, but it is clear, Dellin can develop into something special.



One thing I found interesting is the subject of innings limit and Dellin Betances. It seems the Yankees really do baby their guys down on the farm and I first heard about it when I read this article about Bill Masse complaining about the way the Yankees handled Phil Hughes. Read it HERE. That prompted me to write WAS BILL MASSE RIGHT ABOUT HUGHES? Dellin apparently was pissed about the way he was handled in AA and expressed it to John Nalbone. Betances said this:



“I mean, I would love to go seven innings. I haven’t gone seven innings since Charleston (in 2008) just because they haven’t given me the chance."
The only thing I thought of when I read this was, is Dellin Betances the new Phil Hughes? Are alot of these guys down in the Yankee farm system not being stretched and strengthen properly or is this routine of innings limits the right thing to do? Remember, Bill Masse and what he said of Hughes:



"He never learns how to pitch when he is a little bit fatigued. I think you run into those problems because he is always fresh. Also, he is never in trouble. He needs to learn how to pitch out of his second or third jam in the seventh inning with two outs and he’s throwing 90 mph instead of 94.”



I'm not expert, but this whole thing is something interesting.



One things for sure, I'm happy to see Jesus Montero and Dellin Betances making advancements in their careers in pinstripes and I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully we will see Manny Banuelos too, then all of Yankeeland can rejoice.



The new Yankees kids are coming, new blood... new life.



Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment