Tuesday, April 12, 2011

WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND

Yankees Women are spiritual creatures. Although yes, we can talk about baseball using facts, figures and expert analysis, there’s an important component that we add to the discussion, and that's baseball karma. I firmly believe in this, and, in my humble opinion, it’s what led the Red Sox to win the series over the Yankees this past weekend. Here’s why:



Gloating: I’ll admit that it was kind of nice to see the Sox 0-6 for a while. Although it was reassuring to a lot of fans to see our rivals struggle, some fans take it to the extreme. While it’s okay to be hopeful and even happy about it, opening gloating is frowned upon by the Gods of Baseball, especially so early in the season. People also forget that it is statistically impossible that the Yankees will win every game they play, and every word that comes out of our mouths has now provided open season to the people who love to hate our team. There’s nothing more annoying than only hearing from my Sox fan friends when they win over the Yankees. The only communication I get from them is when they are gloating. Now, after this past weekend, they have a reason for it. I try not to be this way, because I don’t like it when it happens to me.

Having Pride in the Powerful Pinstripes is one thing... bragging and gloating just for the sake of putting down another team is another.



Trash Talk
: When baseball talk gets personal, it’s time to check yourself. Again, I’m guilty of this as well sometimes, but I always try to keep it in check. Yes, I have nicknames for many of the players on other teams, but it’s meant to be funny, and not nasty. Always remember, the guy who play for the other team may in fact one day play for our beloved team. Johnny Damon, Mark Teixeira, A-Rod…need I say more? Although I pray that we never see players like Kevin Useless on our team, it’s not impossible. Most importantly, when trash talk gets personal, violence happens. Just ask the Giants fan who still remains in the hospital in critical condition for wearing a Giants jersey. This is what happens when hatred for the other team overshadows the love for your own. Fans of other teams do this. Yankees fans, I believe, are held to a higher standard, just as our team is. Trash talking about the Red Sox before our team even got onto the field Friday was a mistake. The negative vibes rippled across Fenway Park, and gave them a series win.Fans: Let’s be honest here. When it really comes down to it, it’s not so much the other teams that spark our negative energy, but it’s the fans. Take the Red Sox fans, who are known for such pride in their team that they tend to focus on the Yankees more than their own team. Why would we act that way? We are THE NEW YORK YANKEES. 27 Rings and counting. There’s no comparison. So why do we do it? We don’t need to. The numbers stand for themselves. Arguing with a Red Sox fan over who has been the better team over the past 90 years is like arguing with my daughter about who is older. If we allow them to show pride over the accomplishments of their team, it doesn’t take anything away from ours, and maybe the Gods of Baseball will smile down upon us. Actually, when a fan of another team starts talking junk, I nod, and smile, knowing what they’re doing is sending bad energy to their team. I don’t have to do a thing…I just let them keep talking.



Look, let me make myself clear. Baseball is baseball, and it’s our passion. I’m not saying we have to like the other teams, or their fans. But don’t complain about them exercising or abusing their rights of expression if you yourself have done it. What comes around goes around, and I for one don’t like to see the team suffer because of it.



All that being said, yeah, I’m sure that pitching, coaching, and mechanics, all went into this weekend’s losses. But ask yourself this…was it bad luck, or karma in full force?









--Christy Lee, BYB Staff Writer







Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment