Tuesday, April 12, 2011

WHY IT'S NOT DOOM & GLOOM

Has everyone in the New York Sports Media lost their mind? Is it possible that a small batch of just over 3o at bats this season has everyones minds already made up about Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada? So, it's over for these guys, according to most of you... or at least that's what you're writing.(Photo: AP)
These three headlines caught my eye in reference to The Captain:
These headlines caught my eye in reference to Jorge Posada:
Ooh, I get it. Ok, I'm starting to see what's going on here. All these writers like to take the harsh approach against my favorite baseball team and all of them know how to hit. Got it. I see. All these writers know what's wrong with Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada and their "slumps". I see. The writers know what's wrong, but Jeet and Jorge themselves, the ACTUAL BASEBALL PLAYERS don't know. Oh, I get it. Come on. Yes, Jeter and Jorge are older, but did you ever think that this early in the season, where at bats this few can skew a batting average dramatically low of high in just 1 game? Maybe, just maybe, it's WAY to early to write off our heroes? I find it ridiculous actually. That goes for the fans as well that think that players can just shine immediately after a long winter and just be great. Look, these are the New York Yankees. These guys won 5 championships as part of some very good teams. Remember when Posada his 3 home runs in 2 games the beginning of the season? Your story headlines looked like this:Ok, that was 1 week ago. Suddenly, now it's doom and gloom. You are all ridiculous. Look, I know you have a job to do, you're not fans, you're writers. Luckily, I'm a fan and a blogger so I can root and I can cheer and guess what, if they suck, I can at least write something thoughtful explaining why they are struggling, not just putting up pieces to make deadline. Bottom line, I don't care what anyone says, Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada, while older, are not dead and gone.Yankee fans know that, or let me say, True Yankee fans know that. We know that while decline is near, there is always a great chance that these guys will snap out of it at any time. Do you think Jorge and Jeet are sitting in the corner of the clubhouse sulking because they can't hit? No. They're in the cage, they're watching tape, they're talking to Kevin Long and they're figuring it out. These guys went to to the School of Steinbrenner and you may think that George is gone, but he's in that clubhouse more than ever right now, especially in the hearts of icons like Derek Jeter and Jorge Posada. The last thing these guys want to do is disappoint. They, dare I say, will be back, but they can't move forward if you pile on. So my advice? Back off. Let our champions work, they're doing it for themselves and for their team. They're doing it for George and his memory. They're doing it for you, the true fans of the New York Yankees who are supposed to never ever give up on your franchise.... So don't start now.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment