Wednesday, April 20, 2011

WHY WE'RE BEST FRIENDS

In 1989, I met Mikey Blue in the gym at my college. It was the first day and I was a freshman and so was he. I knew no one there. I was a commuter but I saw this dude across the way and I knew he was cool because he wore a Yankee hat and he was the only one.

22 years later we are still close friends and back then, we knew we were going to do something together in life, whether it business, or a radio sports show or maybe we were going to join the Circus. It didn't matter to us, the options were unlimited because we were pals and we had drive and a love for the New York Yankees.

We saw tons of games together. We saw the Yankees lose in 1995 to the Seattle Mariners in our college dorm and it was a travesty. We we went to Fenway Park numerous times, had beer poured on us and swears yelled at us by evil Red Sox fans, but we rooted for the Yankees anyway. We were even there when Varitek didn't take his face mask off because he didn't want to hurt his face with Alex's fist on July 24, 2004.
We traveled to Cooperstown and looked at every piece of history in the place until it closed. Then, like townies do, we got hammered at the bar down the street and stumbled home.

We both shared the same passion all these years. Baseball and the New York Yankees. It didn't matter where we were, we always found a game and we always wore a Yankee hat.

As I wake up today and see how much fun it has been to blog for you on Bleeding Yankee Blue, I'm even happier knowing I share it with my best friend Mikey. Because before the Internet existed, we knew we were going to do this kind of thing together, we just didn't know how. This is something we love and something we love to share with you guys. It just makes sense.

"So what's your point of this post Casey?" That's what you're asking, right? Simply this...
Happy Birthday Mikey. You're the only one I know that can be a true Don Mattingly fanatic and happen to have the same birthday as him. How the hell does that happen?

Enjoy your day and I'm glad we're keeping our dream alive old friend. Another 22 years of friendship and more to come after that.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment