Wednesday, April 20, 2011

WHY I'M MELK FREE

I never like writing about things that could have happened but didn't. To me, it's the past and we have plenty of new news going on with the first place Yankees.
(photo: NY Post: Charles Wenzelberg)
But, here is goes. Jon Heyman from Sports Illustrated floated this. Apparently, during the off-season, Alex Rodriguez was telling the Yanks we needed to get Melky Cabrera back. Apparently he moved to Miami so he and Alex could train together. Something like that.

The reason I find it interesting is because yes, while I think the Yanks liked Melky, they didn't love him. Partially because of his play and partially because it distracted his best friend Robinson Cano. The fact of the matter is I don't see Melky ever coming back to the Bronx, unless Cano isn't there and that's not happening. At this point, the Yankees love what they see in young Cano and know he will be a leader for the team at some point. May I even suggest that "Captain" could be in his future.I am convinced that the Yanks made a calculated decision to move Melky when they could and they did... to the Braves. I think they knew what Cano could offer and distractions aside, he would blossom. Am I right? I think I am. Look, my theory holds water, Cano's been an animal since the Melk Man left and he just keeps getting better. Remember, BYB thinks this is Cano's batting title year. I hope we're correct.(photo: Getty)
This year so far, Melky is batting .279 for the Royals.

Cano's batting .310 with 4 home runs and 11 RBI's.

Andruw Jones is currently filling the role that Melky would have played if he came back to New York. Jones is batting .333 with 1 home run.

I say... hold the Melk.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment