Thursday, April 14, 2011

WHY I LIKE PIE

Nick Swisher did something right tonight. He could smell the pie since the 8th inning and with Tex on third in the 10th, he knew what he needed to do.

Jake Arriata, the Orioles pitcher really pitched a great game tonight, but as the game went on and it was 5-1 and 5-2, 5-3...and new Orioles pitchers were coming in, I wrote this to a few friends around the 7th on Twitter:

I don't want to sound like the "called it" guy, because I hate that, but let's face it, I called it. The reality is, it's not so much I called it, but instead, I sensed magic tonight. You could see things clicking in Yankee Stadium tonight. The Yanks pounded the ball when they needed to and I had a gut feeling, that's all.

Phil Hughes' velocity was D.O.A. according to one of my Yankee pals. She would know. She saw it first hand at the stadium. I tell you what, I worry about the kid. I know the velocity will come back some time, but when? I worry about his confidence at this point. This is no veteran. This is a fragile youngster who still needs handholding and direction.The player of the game, while it is clearly Swisher, needs to also go to Bartolo Colon. Holy crap, this guy did a great job in his relief appearance tonight. He was able to stop the bleeding and allow the Yanks to catch up. He is the guy you really have to give credit to. Colon...BYB Shoutout brother.

The Captain hit again tonight and he's on his way, so let him do what he does best. Let him get into a rhythm and win for the fans. His "old" sidekick Jorge Posada homered to tie it tonight in the 9th. Are you kidding me? Yeah, these are the guys the New York media loves to hate in APRIL. Great work. Read WHY IT'S NOT DOOM AND GLOOM, it explains what I'm talking about.(Photo: )
Joba Chamberlain did something brilliant tonight, besides pitching and touching 96 on the gun, his wild pitch turned into an amazing out at the plate and Chamberlain redeemed himself. When the wild pitch happened, it was the 8th inning. Felix Pie was on third. He clearly would have scored but Joba looked like a veteran running home to tag out the runner. Using quick instincts, he blocked the plate with his foot and Pie couldn't get around him fast enough. After that, he K'd Mark Reynolds to get out of the inning. He pitched 3 innings and looked great the whole time. Joba's back. I don't care what anyone says.
Overall, tonight was magical. I reminded me of 2009. You could see the parts moving in sync and it was glorious. I'm happy to report, final score tonight, Yankees 6-Orioles 5 and the New York Yankees are in 1st place in the American League East. God Bless America.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment