Thursday, June 16, 2011

WHY IT’S SMALL ALL OVER AGAIN


Never before have I seen so much hype about a guy that no one really knows, but I’m happy about it. Brian Gordon had a good record from his minor league days and now he has his first outing as a New York Yankee under his belt. Bottom line, if he has a few good outings like today, maybe even a win or 2, and can hold down the fort while Bartolo Colon recovers, it’s a win for us all.

The whole signing of Gordon brings me back to another no-name, Aaron Small. His 2005 run for the Yankees was magical. A 10-0 record and he just came out of nowhere, much like Brian Gordon.

Cashman surprises me a lot. Sure, he’s made moves that are pretty significant with well-known ball players, but it’s the moves we don’t understand that turn into gold that I love the best. How about Luis Ayala?

(Photo: Getty)

Who would have thought this guy would be as great as he’s been? In 21.1 innings this year, this kid is 1-1 with a 1.25 ERA. He’s got 17 strikeouts and 8 walks. That’s magnificent and that’s Cashman taking a chance.

How about Boone Logan in 2010? 2-0 with a 2.93 ERA in 51 games. Yes, Boone’s fell off alittle this year, but to make my point, you have to point out his first year in pinstripes. Another guy Cashman thought could contribute and did.

How about Shawn Chacon in 2005? Another great pickup. Chacon went 7-3 with a 2.75 ERA. This is the same guy who was 1-7 in Colorado earlier that year.

(In Photo: Cory Wade)

And today the Yanks introduced a guy named Cory Wade, 2 scoreless innings in his pinstripes debut. He was released by the Rays earlier in the week. I liked what I saw today and I want to see more.

I’m not sure what it is… maybe it’s Cashman believing in these kids; maybe it’s putting on the pinstripes. One thing is for sure though, Cashman has a good track record when it comes to this type of thing, and I believe in these most recent moves, Gordon...Wade...Ayala. Brian Gordon may not be a super star, but he COULD be one in 2011 for the New York Yankees, and I want to be there when it happens. Go get’um Gordon.

---------------------------------------------------------

By the way, check out the latest from Bronx Goblin HERE and HERE.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment