Saturday, June 18, 2011

WHY MARTIN SAVED THE YANKEES WIN

(Photo: Getty)

It was a beautiful day in Chicago today but it almost wasn't for all of Yankeeland. Thank goodness for solid defense, a decent pitching performance and solid backstops. AJ Burnett pitched 5 1/3 innings and struck out 8 holding onto a 3 2 lead, and then the wheels almost fell of due to errors. Luckily though, Russell Martin's heart and love for the game coupled with Garnder's gun to the plate saved the day. Don't know what I mean? Keep reading.

(Photo: Getty)

Let me first rant a moment about something I hate in professional sports...errors. When professionals play baseball, they rarely make errors and when they do, it's kind of embarrassing. Enter Eduardo Nunez. Did I or did I not tell you that Nunez doesn't have the hands to play a solid defense? I told you... in fact, I've told you many times, he doesn't. There are way too many errors attached to this kid and today was no different. Luckily for us, we still won the game and all is forgotten for some, but not for me. Errors bother me, and the kids got to get past it. In fairness, Cano made an error today too, but when was the last time you saw Cano make an error? Errors nearly cost the game today because it loaded the bases against Cory Wade. So, Yes, it's true, while I give Cano a pass because errors for him are rare, I don't for Nunez. My blog, my rules.

After that, Noesi and David Robertson had perfect innings each. Later, Nunez redeemed himself with knocking in an RBI in the 9th inning. If he didn't, I would have been even more aggravated.

Then Mo came in and I wanted to die. Mariano Rivera gave up 2 hits, Reed Johnson homered and then another hit, but Mo got his 17th save when all was said and done. Nice.

Some other nice highlights for you and what I was talking about before...heart and solid backstops...

(Photo: Getty)

The Yankees were able to get 2 runs in the third inning, Robinson Cano was able to knock a run and that was a nice beginning. Then with 2 on, Nick Swisher hit a sac fly which got in another run. That's teamwork. The Cubs tied it in the fourth and you could tell right there it was going to be a seesaw game.

But for me, the best play of the game tonight, and maybe for the month, had to be Brett Gardner's chuck to Hustle Martin at home. Incredible play. The ball came to Gardner, who was able to catch it and then fired it home and Martin was bowled over by Carlos Pena who smashed into him trying to score. Russell Martin held onto the ball. The game was still Yankees 3 - Cubs 2 at that point because of that play. If Pena scores, the Cubs no doubt gain momentum and probably win that game today. But they didn't and I'm thrilled for both Martin and Gardner for preventing that run from scoring. Look, put it this way, if my cousin Brian, whom I was with today is screaming at the TV saying "YES, 2 outs, GARDNER, YES!" It's got to be a good play.

Final Score from Chicago: Yankees 4 - Cubs 3.

Not the greatest ball game because of sloppiness, but the Yanks grinded it out and won in Wrigley today. Way to go. One more tomorrow and we need to win the Series, as always. Go Yanks!

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter
@BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment