Friday, June 17, 2011

WHY TODAY WAS FRUSTRATING

(Photo: Getty)
To the New York Yankees today, Doug Davis was pitching like Cy Young. They couldn’t hit a lick against the 35 year old journeyman who was 0-5 this season so far. It always puzzles me how that happens because we just swept the Texas Rangers. Suddenly, we come into Wrigley and we can’t seem to get the bats going. The Yankees only had 3 hits off Davis.

(Photo: AP)

Cano broke up Doug Davis’ no hitter in the 5th and at that moment was really hoping that it would change the momentum of the game. It did not. By the eighth inning, Nick Swisher cranked a double. After a Granderson strikeout, Mark Teixeira knocked Swish home. I once again was hoping that momentum would sway our way… I was thinking maybe we start a rally right then and there…. it didn’t happen. After the 8th, the Yankees time was running out.

Then came the ninth. The first out came when Reed Johnson snagged a hit away from Robinson Cano. Next Russell Martin walked. That feeling came back, maybe now they would win it. Posada struck out. I became worried again. Then Brett Gardner came up against Marmol. I started thinking, “Well, a homer would be dramatic and nice.” We weren’t that lucky but I’ll take the single and that’s what happened. So, there we were, 2 outs, top of the ninth inning and men on base. Chris Dickerson comes to the plate. This is a guy that had 15 strikeouts in pinch hitting appearances. He came in for pitcher Luis Ayala.

Now listen, I like Chris Dickerson, but if there was a Girardi Binder page that needed to be read today, it was Dickerson's pinch hit page, because Dickerson is just not good in pinch hit situations. When I read the stat of 15 strikeouts, it was almost like it was telling me he was going to strike out again…and he did. Game over, Cubs win.

Look, I’m not going to second guess Girardi, I’m just disappointed. In that situation, I’m not even sure who’s on the bench to replace Dickerson at the plate. I’ll need to reserch that and do a followup, because 15 strikeouts in pinch hitting appearances is a red flag for me. Again, I’m not sure what I would have done or who was available, but if someone is, maybe you don't give the bat to Dickerson. Giriardi's thinking was Dickerson, as a member of the Reds, hit in Wrigley before so he took that chance, but it's a tough call no doubt.

The one bright spot for the Yankees today was defense. 2 plays stand out, Eduardo Nunez caught a wild throw from Hustle Martin and was pulled off the 2nd base bag but tagged out the runner. It was nice. Later on, Cano made a stellar play flipping the ball to first to get the runner out in the 8th. (Photo: Getty)

And Freddy Garcia, while shaky early, kept the Yankees in it the best he could, we just couldn't score. Other than that freaks, there was nothing but a big fat loss in Chicago.

Final Score today: Cubs 3 – Yankees 1.

All we can do is come back tomorrow and for now, go enjoy Chicago boys, they have terrific pizza in Chi-town and you need to check it out.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment