Wednesday, June 15, 2011

WHY WE'RE HURTING BUT HITTING

You can sit there and tell me that there is no home run chase going on in the Bronx this year, and I'll tell you you're full of crap. Do you realize that Curtis Granderson has 21 home runs and now so does Mark Teixeira? This may be the most excited I've been about baseball all year. I'm not kidding.(Photo: AP)
In my lifetime, I saw players use some type of drug enhancements to hit enough home runs to beat Roger Maris's 61 home runs in a single season. Both Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa did it in 1998 and then a few years later, Barry Bonds did it. But to me, those guys don't count. Like I've said before, my kids are getting older and they're asking questions. To me, I don't accept cheating in baseball, so when they ask me who the single season home run champ is, it's clear... it's Roger Maris and it always will be Roger Maris. Sorry, but this is Casey's House of Baseball, and that's the way it should be. That being said, I don't suspect wrongdoing with Mark Teixeira and Curtis Granderson, especially with the new drug testing we do in the MLB, so if a New York Yankee were to break that record clean, while I would be sad for Roger, it would be exciting for the Yankees and Casey's House of Baseball. Plus, I can teach the right way to play the game to my kids.

Tex tonight had 4 RBI's and scored 3 runs. He is on fire and you've got to love it. He's hot as hell.
(Photo: Getty)
But what else happened tonight you ask? Well, don't look now but Ivan Nova is 6-4. Nice record for a guy that we weren't sure about. Tonight he pitched 5.2 innings, gave up 7 hits and 4 runs. I'll take that from Ivan and run with it.There were home runs galore tonight. Robinson Cano cranked out a 3 run shot which was beautiful, plus, a couple home runs tonight for Eduardo Nunez and Ramiro Pena. Look, Pena is the kind of guy that just fills in when needed. He never seems to ever complain about anything, he's just happy to be there. So I'm happy for him.

Nunez on the other hand is on a mission and I love what he's doing right now at the plate. A solo homer tonight and 2 stolen bases. He ended up being 2 for 4. I like that. Hopefully it will translate on the field and his fielding will improve. Also, and not to get off track but just to make a point; Nunez is just so damn likeable. In his post game with Kim Jones, he's just smiling ear to ear. You've got to love that. Good for him.

Streaks are good and the Yankees are on a winning streak right now that makes them look like Champions, champions with injuries by the way. You guys realize that we are done some very important stars right? Derek Jeter, Bartolo Colon, Rafael Soriano, Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, Russell Martin. These are players that contribute every time they are on the field, yet, we are still producing and digging deep every time for the win without them. You have to respect it and you have to love what we're doing right now. Let's hope it keeps up. Ladies and Gentlemen, something is in the air. Can you smell it? I smell October.

Final Score tonight: Yankees 12 - Rangers 4. God Bless America, the Yankees are rolling.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment