Wednesday, June 22, 2011

WHY POSADA MEANS "TEAM"

Leave it to the New York Daily News and Christian Red to put out this nugget HERE. I meant to comment on this days ago, but things come up and you forget. Then today, Jorge Posada, hit a home run and I remember that Red wrote it and I needed to find it and bring it to all of you.

Jorge Posada, who was for a brief time criticized, humiliated and embarrassed because he was turned into a Designated Hitter after being a successful catcher for the New York Yankees for years, has finally excepted his role as DH but said he will contribute as a catcher again if needed.Girardi says that's not needed, unless there is an emergency. To me, this is a 2 fold situation for Jorge.
  1. It shows that Posada, while probably still way too proud to realize his days in pinstripes may end after this season, is all about team, still, and you have to admire that.
  2. Maybe the "rocky" relationship that was reported in the news between Jorge and Joe a month ago may or may not be true. One thing is for sure, there is a dialog there and it's about the most touchy subject ever...Jorge catching.
Now, I don't see Joe ever giving Jorge another shot as a catcher, but if I'm Joe and we are reaching the end of the season, I give Jorge the keys to the car once or twice before the season ends. Why not? Let Jorge get a game in as catcher before the season ends, give him a last hurrah. It's only right.

The Daily News asked Jorge is he would catch if needed in an emergency. He said: "If the team needs me, yeah, I'll be there. It's always fun. I always love playing behind the plate." Well, that says it right there.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment