Thursday, June 23, 2011

WHY LITTLE GARDNER'S LARGER THAN LIFE

Brett Gardner is our lead off hitter. Interesting, I said that he should be our lead off guy in the beginning of the season, remember? I was dismissed on multiple occasions and told that lack of experience and lack of hitting would put him the 9 hole for sure. But I stuck by my guy and said a trial period is necessary because a rhythm is necessary. I told you of the need for speed at the top of the lineup and I told you about my love for Rickey Henderson at the top of the order and how Gardner is a similar animal to Rickey...but I was dismissed again. Jeter is our guy” is all I heard. Well, you were wrong, I was right… for once, for now at least.

Now, in fairness, Bryan Hoch has his piece out now stating that Jeter will be the lead off guy when he returns (read it HERE). Jeter's our leader, if we need him in lead off, that's fine, he should, but I wanted Gardner to get his due and he has and I love it.

Brett Gardner’s hot streak is no fluke, and it was expected because he’s talented. In his last 48 games, he’s batting .350, has 12 extra base hits, 10 stolen bases and 23 runs scored. He has it in him and it needed to come out sooner or later, plain and simple. What truly triggered him was rhythm, being in there a lot and sticking with pal Granderson. Gardner was batting .212 on May 7th. He is now batting .293.

So what’s the key? Mechanics and confidence. Gardner always believed he could do it, but without the mechanics, he wasn’t able to do what he needed to do. Kevin Long is a baseball God and saw something in his stance and swing back in April (HERE). It involved his legs and not using them enough with this swing. Then Gardner had to train himself to move alittle closer to the plate. 3rdly, he needed to be more aggressive at the plate and stop falling behind in the counts. Those 3 things came into play and entered into Brett’s every day approach at the plate and now in turn, he’s cashing in, getting on base and running his little heart out.

You know my passion for running. Brett’s got the tools and much like Rickey Henderson back in the 80’s, watching this guy on the base paths brings me true joy. You know when he’s on first base, he will take second.

If Brett Gardner keeps this rhythm there is no doubt that he will be a monster in the playoffs, a major tool that will be utilized all summer and all fall. So go ahead… tell me… “Casey…you were right for once…good work.” Why… thank you, lets just hope it sticks.

Check out these other pieces about my man Gardy:

WHY BRETT MATTERS

WHY GARDNER'S GRIT GIVES HIM AN EDGE

WHY MECHANICS FIX WILL GET GARDY RIGHT

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment