Tuesday, March 22, 2011

WHY COLON JUST LOCKED IT UP

(photo:AP)
Jeremy Grey: "You lock it up!"
John Beckwith: "You lock it up!"
Jeremy Grey: "Lock it up!"
from the movie Wedding Crashers
Well, I know I've said Freddy Garcia was my man, but things have changed a bit, haven't they?

Bartolo Colon all but just locked up the 5th spot in the Yankee rotation and he did it last night against the Rays. Colon looked great in his fourth start of the spring. And that's not all, in his first three starts, Bartolo only allowed three runs in nine. He gave up 8 and struckout 12. That's great.

Last night alone, Colon held the Rays to one run on two hits while K-ing five in six innings. Sure, the Yanks lost 3-1, but it wasn't about winning the game, It was about "the Colon Show". It was about winning a spot. Colon secured it. Why? Because Dr. Chubby never gave up on himself when everyone else did this whole winter and spring.

So far, Colon's pitching like a Cy Young award winner. Look, no doubt he's not the same pitcher he was in 2005 when he snagged that award, but a number 5 spot on the Yankees rotation only means you need to get me 10 to 12 wins and if you get me more,well, no ones complaining.

Bartolo has gotten a bum rap, from many of us, me included. Look, the best part of my gig is I like to be proven wrong. I mean, what do I know? I'm in my basement in an old Reggie t-shirt typing posts based on stats and gut. I doubted Colon. I was wrong. I love that. So, can Bartolo truly lock it up? I think so. Then what happens to Garcia if he does? Personally, I'd love the 34 year old to be the Yankees long man. I have an attachment to Freddy, much like Girardi has an attachment to Sergio Mitre. Yes, it would seem unusual for Freddy and the Yanks, but this is a veteran pitcher. He still knows how to pitch, he's no pussy. Freddy will still give it his all in the bullpen, plus, he wants to make the team and he's opened to thatlong man role. The guy just wants to work. I say give Freddy that long man spot and guess what, if someone's scratched from a start, give Garcia the shot, he knows how to pitch in that roll and would not disappoint.

Things are falling into place Ladies and Gentlemen...can you feel it? Bartolo just opened some eyes, because he opened his heart and knew that he was on a pitching mission. No failure, just pure grit.

Keep chuckin' it Bartolo, keep chuckin' it. You earned it and we're all behind you.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment