Friday, March 25, 2011

WHY THAMES GETS THE LAST LAUGH

I know I’m a few days late on this story, but I wanted to make sure every smart blogger and writer got a shot in against TJ Simers from the Los Angeles Times for his ridiculous hit piece against one of the nicest guys in baseball, Marcus Thames. Anyway, you can read the trash HERE, but for once in my life, I suggest you don't click.
Look, I don’t read Simers that often. Why? Because I don’t think he’s particularly good. I've been told he has his moments, although, in my opinion, and many others, this moment was absolutely horrible.
Simers wrote a March 21st piece called: Marcus Thames can't field, can't hit righties, won't talk about it . . . are you excited yet?

In it, Simers attacks Thames all kinds of ways, saying h
e’s a lousy home run hitter: “This guy can hit home runs with more regularity than anyone else they have. In fact, he's only 442 behind Manny Ramirez.”

Then he rips on Thames saying he can’t hit righties and a lousy hitter, how Thames won't "answer" his questions and even ranks on his name calling him Tims/Tems over and over again. For the record Simers, it’s pronounced “Tims”. We all don't walk around calling you
TJ Tool, do we?
To me, who is just a blogger, this is probably the most uncreative piece I’ve ever seen in print. TJ, I’m not following. What are you angry at? Are you angry at the Dodgers for signing Thames or do you just like ripping on people who don’t like talking to your obnoxious blowhard mouth?
The Yankees had the wonderful opportunity to sign Marcus Thames for the 2010 season. From what I can gather, he was kind and a great teammate. He contributed when he could, after all, he didn't play every single day. Yes, he wasn’t the best player in baseball, but he was worth the price and delivered when we needed him to do, and during the playoffs, he did a great job. To be honest, I would have welcomed him back to the Yankee lineup in 2011.
Mattingly, in a Simers interview said of Thames: "I'm not going to say he's [crummy] on defense. He's not a Gold Glove outfielder . . . he's OK. All we've asked Marcus to do is what he's supposed to do."
Yes, I would say I agree with that. Hell, I think Thames would agree with that. So what Mr. Simers, is your beef sir? That Thames isn’t Manny? That Thames isn't diving everywhere for the baseball? I don’t get it. Unless it was just a piece to fill your article deadline so you can tell your editor you were finished, almost like a book report that was due on March 21st and you wrote it at breakfast instead of the month allotted. That's what it seemed like to me.
Now yes, I’m a blogger, that’s all I am. I have an opinion and I damn sure don’t take myself seriously. My readers, the few I have, get me.

You? You work for the Los Angeles Times, the Goliath of us all and maybe you have more readers and more “followers” who hang on every word you write. Good for you. But do me a favor, accept criticism OK? Your article sucked. And I'm not the only one who thought so take a p
eak at these:

Hardball Talk
and this Hardball Talk
Big Lead Sports
Subway Squawkers
Detroit Free Press
Fantasy SP
Fishbowl LA

And believe me, Twitter was blowing up. Then of course, the biggest voice comes from former teammate of Thames', Curtis Granderson, who tweeted this:
Mr. Granderson, the Gentleman, wrote several quality tweets about Mr. Thames and what a great teammate he was. I got news for all of you, that's from the closest source, so take Grandy to the bank.
In closing Simers, let me just say, I know you probably won’t even read this. You’ll just move on to the next player to rip on who won’t answer your questions, because that seems to be your shtick. Thames is a good guy, and guess what, even if he wasn't, he's still a human being. Have a little respect.

By the way, respect is not a journalism thing sir, it's a life thing. Learn it.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment