Friday, March 25, 2011

WHY THE YANKEES SIGNED MILLWOOD

(photo: Getty)

Yeah, you read that correctly, according to WFAN and Jon Heyman from SI, the Yankees have signed starter Kevin Millwood to what is being called an “incentive-laden” minor league deal. Heyman says Millwood will begin the year in the minors. Read it HERE. Here are Millwood's numbers last year for Baltimore: 4-16 with a 5.10 ERA in 190 2/3 innings.

90% of you just groaned. 10% are Millwood fans. Many of you don't get it, some do. This is my official take, hear me out.

The Yanks are not a patient franchise, they never have been. They can preach it, they can even practice it to an extent, for instance, they've been riding it out with Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon all spring, but the reality is, there is not All-Star coming forward from these two pitchers, just flashes of brilliance.

So you ask "Ok, Casey, so now Millwood's an All-Star?" No. He's not and I never said he was. My theory on this is simple. Stockpiling pitching.

Look, the Yanks lost out to Lee, they moved on. Turns out, it may be the best thing that ever happened to the Yankees. We saw a lot of great young talent this spring and we signed 2 former great pitchers in Colon and Garcia. They duked it out, but even if they get the nod to be our number 5 starter, can they stay solid all season? Will they break down? Enter Kevin Millwood.

Now, I don't know what Millwood's contract is, I don't even care, I'm just trying to understand the thinking of the Yankee brass. If Garcia or Colon, or both fall apart by May, we have an innings eater in the minors ready to come up, battle tested and ready to go. Millwood's no bullshit, he never has been, and yes, while he's in the category of Garcia and Colon when it comes to age, he has a much better health record then them both.

(photo: AP)

Now you ask "Then Casey, why not just give Millwood the 5th spot?". No, I wouldn't. I find a move like that to be douche, to be perfectly honest with you. Why would Freddy and Bartolo be busting ass, for what could possibly be their last shot and then let Millwood just "show up" and take the job? No, Millwood's going to have to earn it as well. That's why he was offered a minor league deal. Smart move by the Yanks.

In my opinion, I see positives here. We have nothing else to work with and instead of just rushing Manny Banuelos up to the Majors, we buy us some time. Trust me, this can work out in the Yankees favor.

Baseball's coming... now let's get ready.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment