Saturday, March 12, 2011

WHY THE YANKS SHOULD HAVE FUN

“Believe it or not, I’m a serious guy, but I do like to have fun,” Joe Girardi

Just so you know, paint ball with the Yankees and the all the beat writers Thursday was awesome. Thanks for a lot of fun guys. At one point, Cashman and Girardi cornered me and literally emptied their guns on me telling me Bleeding Yankee Blue was way to negative on Yankee management but told me the site itself looked great and loved all the writers we have.

Actually... this didn’t happen, but I did dream about it for some reason and I woke up feeling really cool, like I had accomplished something. Anyway, the Yankees do bonding activities. It brings them closer and lifts team morale. The latest trip was paint ball. Sounds interesting. team activities is a concept created under the Girardi era.

18 Yankees and writers pelted each other with paint balls and it’s all Girardi inspired. In the past, there was pool tournaments, arcade tournaments and this year they competed in Pop-a-Shot basketball and Skee-ball as well as paintball.

(Photo from Bryan Hoch website)

Look, I have an opinion on this... you knew it was coming. For so long, we have had George the Great running the show. Loved the man and what he stood for. He was tough on his players but fair. He, would never approve of such a thing in his time running the show. But let’s face it, George is gone, it's sad but true. Now that he is gone, Hal, the sisters and to an extent, Hank, are running the Yankees. If we’ve learned anything about Hal Steinbrenner, you know he’s absolutely brilliant with money, and less of a tight ass than some may think. It’s a sign that while the Yankees are corporate, they’re allowed to have a little fun, as long as they don’t get hurt. To me… well, I love the idea.

I like what Cashman and Girardi are doing. It’s good clean fun. Hey, all year long these guys get pummeled by beat writers and reporters about the “bad” moves they’re making. The players get ripped on by a brutal New York Media. It sucks, especially when they're slumping. So, to me, this years activity of paintball proved 1 thing... Cash, Big Joe and the Yankees got payback against those writers... and it must have felt great.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment