Thursday, March 17, 2011

WHY IT'S A TALE OF TWO PITCHERS

An oblique strain stinks and both Sergio Mitre and Joba Chamberlain have one. So, right off the bat, I'm thinking, bye bye Mitre. Yet, I don't feel the same way about Joba, I'm not sure why.

I tell you what, I recently wrote WHY MITRE HAS A CLEAN SLATE because, I realized something. I don't hate Sergio Mitre. I just realized Mitre's human and It's not his fault he's not particularly good. Bottom line, he's out there every day pitching his heart out, the trouble is he just doesn't have it.

So when I read this interesting nugget from one of my favorite Yankees blogs, Bronx Baseball Daily, I was not exactly surprised. They borrowed it from Joel Sherman of the NY Post:

"There are scouts saying that they are convinced the Yankees are going to release Sergio Mitre…"

And this from MLB Trade Rumors:

"If the Yankees release Mitre prior to March 28th, he’d only be due 45 days termination pay, which on his $900K salary equals $222,527. If they release him after that they’d owe the full $900K, less the prorated portion of the league minimum if he signs elsewhere. So either way the bill to let Mitre go should be less than $500K."

Now, I feel bad sometimes when I suggest people need to be fired. As my boss as said for years "we'll move him, not fire him." I have to say, I subscribe to that. Firing someone is so final and the likelihood of getting a new job is never a sure thing, although maybe the Mets would be a good fit. Anyway, the topic of releasing a player, or Mitre, is worrisome to him I'm sure.

But my feeling is, something needs to be done. You put your best 25 on a team. Mitre, compared to others working toward a roster spot is maybe the 30th best if you have a pool of 40. Quite simply, it's time to "move" him, Triple A, a trade, something. There are plenty of long men who can do a better job, no offense Sergio.On the Joba front, well look, I don't like all that weight he's carrying on his frame. He looks huge, but I know there is potential with him. Mechanics was key for Joba, and he's figured it out. Yes, while Mitre and Joba have the same injury, I'd much rather NOT cut bait on Joba. I believe in the kid. I want him to succeed.

2 pitchers, same injuries... who would you release? Who would you keep? Tell us.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment