Saturday, March 26, 2011

WHY YOU CAN'T FORCE IT

Don't force it. I've said it a few times in my life. Bleeding Yankee Blue writers have heard me say it, my kids have and the truth of the matter is, it's a life lesson and can be used in many scenarios. Some examples below:
  1. You need to write an article but don't have a good story idea but you "force it" anyway. (i.e. the Simers/Thames piece.) Outcome... disastrous.
  2. You have the bases loaded and it's a 3-2 count on a singles hitter. As a pitcher, you're amped up, what do you do? Pitch... don't aim. Don't force it.
  3. Jesus Montero
Yes, it's true, we all want him on the Yankees roster right now, but as my wife tells the kids "the cookie's aren't ready yet!" Guess what, Montero isn't ready yet, and there is nothing wrong with that. But, it could mean 2 things, Montero could be ready in 2 weeks, or in 2 months. Bottom line, Jesus will be ready...soon, just not now.

This spring Montero is batting .222 (8-for-36) with two RBI. Also, he's never played on the Major League level. So what does that mean? He just needs more time Ladies and Gentlemen. This is the best thing to happen to Montero. Cervelli got hurt and the world saw Jesus play. He got his at bats, he played alot and now we know, he just needs alittle more time.

Same goes for Austin Romine by the way. Again, not big whoop. This spring he's batting .150 (3-for-20) with no RBI.Look Russell Martin has a job with the Yankees, and we knew that going in. Unless he busted a leg, he's automatic. He didn't have a great spring, but it doesn't matter, it's the Yanks choice, that's why he's there. Martin will be fine, he needs to get into a rhythm, adjust to the East Coast and a new team, cut him alittle slack.

Then, in my state of sickness yesterday, I heard Molina's name. I thought immediately, "That's my Yankees, getting Bengie Molina in the mix! Love it!." Then I woke up alittle, my medicine kicked in and I realized they were talking about Gustavo Molina. "Oh, I thought, that guy. Another Molina brother from the catching Molina's. Ok, I'd roll the dice on that." Then I had something to eat. Then I said, "Who the hell is Gustavo Molina??"
This is Gustavo Molina, a journeyman catcher who caught parts of three seasons in the bigs. The idea from the Yankees perspective was to have someone else who knew the Majors other than Cervelli, strictly a veteran insurance policy, that was the reasoning for have Gustavo Molina there. Well, that turned out to be a smart move right now, although I know alot of you would rather give the kids a shot.

Look, I trust Yankee brass. If they believe in Molina to be their temporary catching backup, do it. It's only a matter of time before Jesus will rise....I say by Easter. (That joke never gets old for me.)

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment