Monday, March 14, 2011

WHY SHEPPARD'S MY HAPPY PLACE

(AP Photo)
There are certain announcements that I love in my life. Most of them are baseball related, but there is one voice that will forever put me in my happy place.

Today I was thinking about Derek Jeter, and I was thinking about Bob Sheppard's announcement for Jeet when he comes to the plate at Yankee Stadium and how incredibly smart it was that he will continue to have it until the day he retires.

Sheppard's voice is my pacifier. It may be the sweetest sound ever at Yankee Stadium, other than the crack of the bat and the fans going wild.

Sheppard's voice is soothing to me, much better than say, the recording of the woman that sounds annoyed at the Port Authority who says "buses are subject to delay both inbound and outbound due to heavy volume". God I hate that announcement. That announcement makes me want to yell at people.(Photo: Richard Perry NY Times)
Then I realized that Bob Sheppard's voice goes away for good once Jeter retires. I got pretty sad thinking about that, for many reasons, because by then, Posada will be retired, Mariano will most likely be done and Jeter will be the last of the Core Four. My Yankees will be different at that point... I'll still love them, but it's amazing to think that these people and voices are vanishing from my life.

So I've figured it out, I figured out how to be happy again after it all disappears. Besides the rings and the championships we will get with Manny Banuelos and Jesus Montero, I know what to do...Get a Bob Sheppard impersonator to announce bus delays at Port Authoirty. Genius. Maybe then I won't be so pissed trying to weather the crowds and traffic. Maybe then, I'll always be in my happy place.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment