Wednesday, May 18, 2011

AN OPEN LETTER TO BUD SELIG

(photo: Getty)

Dear Mr. Selig,

I was having a catch with my son yesterday, something I do nearly every day because thanks to Major League Baseball, he idolizes players like Mark Teixeira, Alex Rodriguez, Ichiro and Albert Pujols.

I’ve tried to educate him on the game of baseball the best I could and I continue to do, teaching him random things like how Ty Cobb held his bat at the plate, or some historic facts, quotes by Yankee Icon Yogi Berra and I even tip-toe around the steroid scandal. The fact is, he needs to know what’s going on. He’s 8, he’s not stupid.

When I caught the ball yesterday, I looked down at my dirty baseball that I probably bought at Modell’s or Sport’s Authority a couple years ago and I noticed something that made my heart sink. Can you explain to me why America’s Favorite Pastime’s baseballs are made in China? What the hell are we doing here? Did you cave to the pressure of overseas jobs over American jobs too?

Look, I understand the concept of getting items made for less money, but for God’s sake, this is America’s Pastime and are you going to sit there and tell me that Americans wouldn’t want to take a job to create a symbol of American culture, a baseball, in an American plant in the United States? It would sure create jobs and would sure make many Americans happy.

You can argue with me all day about how making baseballs in China is a good thing. You can try and tell me that it helps with demand and that most Americans wouldn’t want the low salary a baseball plant would pay. I say to you, Major League Baseball is a major corporation, you make millions every year on rights, merchandise, and you are even thinking about expanding the playoffs. I could go on and on. If there’s money to be made, you’re making it. You don’t think it would make sense to offer these jobs to people who need them most… the American worker? And by the way, don’t pay them the low salary you’re paying China, pay them more, they’re American workers and besides, you can afford it. After all, it’s not China’s Favorite Pastime… well, maybe it is, in China, but this is America Mr. Selig and I would think you’d follow suit that so many have done over the years in the United States… Giving back. It isn’t enough that you bring baseball to millions of Americans. Why don’t you bring jobs to millions of Americans too, it’s only right. Make baseballs in the United States. Do it for the people that need it most, the American worker.

Love Always,

The Mighty Casey

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment