Monday, May 16, 2011

WHY THE MEDIA MACHINE NEEDS TO CHILL

Why in the world would the New York Sports Media spread a ridiculous rumor that Yankee Brass was furious with Derek Jeter for siding with Jorge Posada? I’ll tell you why… their readership is up, if only for this past weekend, at least. Holy crap… what a weekend. It was because of Mr. Posada that you guys read us the most ever in the history of Bleeding Yankee Blue. For that I thank you, but the reality is, we were just giving our opinion on Posada-gate, we weren’t trying any unusual stunts here to get you to read us. The New York Sports media IS however milking this Posada story for everything it’s worth, including now dragging our Captain into it. Pathetic.

The latest that I’ve read came from Buster Olney, what else is new, leave it to ESPN to figure out a way to bash the Yankees again. Luckily Hank Steinbrenner has denied the story. Now, you know I rarely side with the brass, but the reality is, I like my Yankees and I know what the Sports Media is trying to do here. It went down like this: Olney and others have been reporting that the Yankees are pissed that Jeter, who is the Captain, said he didn’t think there was anything wrong with Posada requesting a day off. There is obviously more to the story, but let’s face it, that’s their business. I honestly don’t care if Posada needed or wanted a day off, this is Posada, he’s been stripped of his job, and struggling terribly at the plate. If I wanted a week off, I’m fine with that. I forgive him. Frustration gets into the heads of a lot of players. He apologized and it’s over. Anyway, back to the real story, dragging Jeet into the Posada mess.

Derek Jeter had come to the defense of his friend, (and by the way, Jeter said nothing inflammatory at all, just backed his buddy), and to me it’s the right thing to do. Why should anyone be mad at Jeter backing Jorge? What is wrong with that? To tell you the truth, when I read that story, I felt it to be fishy. Why? Because it’s one thing to publically criticize a player when they are in a contract negotiation, like Jeter was during the winter, but it’s another to publically shame a player who already wears their pinstripes. They normally don’t do that and they’ve never really done that, unless they wanted to kick them in the ass for not playing well…kind of like George used to do. The point is, Jeter is the Captain, what good would it do to bash him publically? Not good. Jeter‘s the face of the franchise. So, I had a feeling it was bologna… and it is. And Hank isn’t pissed at Jeter at all. Hank’s more super furious at the fact that the Yankees have lost 5 in a row. And he has every right to be, they suck ass right now.

So, to all these guys out there that like to keep the gravy train going making up possible Yankee encounters and confrontations based on a source who knows the bat boy, do me a favor, give the fans the facts, not this crap, it gets us nowhere. We want our Yankees winning, this is true, but what we don’t want is the turmoil that you’re attaching to it…it’s just not working. Chill.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment